Oregon Certification and Qualification
The State of Oregon has established certification and qualification standards for health care interpreters.
In order to become a Certified or Qualified interpreter in the State of Oregon you must meet several requirements.
- Complete a 60-hour interpreter training program, approved by the Oregon Health Authority.
- Demonstrate language proficiency of Advanced Mid in your target language.
- Demonstrate language proficiency of Advanced Mid in your source language.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a high school diploma.
Qualification is available for ALL languages. For languages that have certification available such as Spanish, Russian, Korean, Arabic, Vietnamese, Mandarin and Cantonese, you can only be a Qualified Health Care Interpreter for a maximum of 3 years. After 3 years you MUST become a Certified Health Care Interpreter. If you do not become Certified after that time frame, your name will be dropped from the Oregon Health Care Interpreter registry until such time as you become Certified.
For languages that do not have certification available, you MUST renew your qualification after 3 years and present 24 hours of Continuing Education Credits.
Meet all of the above requirements, plus take a National Certification test from one of the following two entities:
- National Board for Certification of Medical Interpreters (NBCMI)
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI)
Oregon accepts the certification from either one of these national organizations. Once you become a nationally certified interpreter, you can present your Certification to the Oregon Health Authority in order to become a Certified Health Care Interpreter in Oregon. Certified interpreters MUST renew their certification after 3 years by presenting 24 hours of Continuing Education Credits.
Even if you have a National Certification, you MUST become an Oregon Certified Health Care Interpreter.
Click here for the Oregon Health Care Interpreter Program requirements and language testing centers.