The Community Interpreter® International Edition
Join the Adventure!!!!!
There are no Classes currently scheduled. Please check back periodically for updates.
SEE LOCATION AND REGISTRATION LINK BELOW
This program is an interactive, skills-based program and it is language neutral. It is the most up-to-date program in the field. The sessions ground you in what you need to know to work as a professional interpreter.
You will be engaged in role plays, activities and practice sessions. You will have audiovisuals to complement your training.
Working in groups while learning how to apply Standards of Practice for Healthcare Interpreting
Smaller class settings that are more conducive to learning.
Students engage in presentations of the topic of their choice. This enhances their learning experience.
Guest speakers are invited to class to present different topics
It's never boring. Come join the adventure!!
Below are the topics that will be covered during the course:
- Interpreter Code of Ethics and National Standards
- Requirements to become a Qualified/Certified Health Care Interpreter in Oregon and nationally
- Professional Identity
- Language Access Laws
- Cultural Competency
- Memory skills and note taking
- Basic sight and written translation
- Modes of interpreting (consecutive/simultaneous)
- Strategic mediation
- Skills building on protocols, positioning, message transfer skills
- The interpreter's role
- Self Care
- Professional Development
- Palliative Care
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
You must have language proficiency in English and the target language in order to deliver the best possible interpretation. The State of Oregon requires a level of advanced mid and the ACTFL requires an advanced level of proficiency.
You will be issued a Certificate of Completion after your have successfully met the following:
- Completed this 64 hour program
- Successfully passed a Medical Terminology Assessment with a minimum score of 72%.
- Successfully passed an Interpreter Knowledge Assessment with a minimum score of 72%
- 100% Attendance is required
Your Certificate of Completion can be presented to the Oregon Health Authority and the national certification organization to meet the training requirements necessary to become a qualified or certified health care interpreter in the State of Oregon and a certified interpreter nationally.
Location for Portland classes
Warner Pacific College
2219 SE 68th Avenue
Portland, OR 97215
Egtvedt Hall, Room 120
Interested in signing up for the class. Click the button below to register.
Still have questions? Contact Me